Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
best practice for monitoring windows server 2016 backup/event log
Hi, i am rather new to Pandora and a bit confused. I want to monitor, if the windows server backup throws any errors, basically from the event log. 

I have seen there is a solution, that checks a folder for new backup files, but this seems to be for linux systems only...

If there are problems, they are always related to the following error (always event ID 561), so we would like to monitor the log for it.

"The backup operation that started at '‎1601‎-‎01‎-‎01T00:00:00.000000000Z' has failed because no backup storage location could be found. Please confirm that the backup storage location is attached and online, and then rerun the backup operation."

Could this be done without installing the agent on the server, or do i have to install the agent and add the following config (this comes from me).

module_begin
module_name Backup storage missing
module_type async_string
module_logevent
module_source Application
module_eventcode 561
module_application Backup
module_description No backup storage location could be found
module_end

Thank you, i would prefer a solution that needs no agent... 

BR from Austria, 

Gerald
Hello Gerald.K

PandoraFMS software agent is not necessary as long as the information we want to monitor can be obtained through a command that PandoraFMS server can launch. But, if that information is inside a file inside another machine, the thing gets complicated, so I recommend you to install the software agent in the machine you want to monitor. This way you can get all the information of the machine that can be taken out of it by a command, which of course includes what you mention and probably works the solution you proposed.

PandoraFMS software agent doesn't have any difficulty to install itself and it doesn't consume practically any resource of the equipment, reason why it is an incredibly powerful tool.

Greetings
Diego