Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broker Agents
Hi all,

Im a newbie to Pandora FMS but definitely liking it!!  

I am trying to setup monitoring to a remote network from a central location in our office.  I have configured a VPN to the remote office and can monitor a remote server (Server01) using a software agent which is working fine.  My question is about the use of broker agents.  I have configured a broker agent to monitor a second PC (PC1) in the remote office by adding broker_agent PC1 to the conf file on Server01 and it is appearing in the console however it seems to be monitoring the vitals of Server01 not PC1. I have configured the PC1.conf broker file on Server01 with its own modules but this doesn't seem to make a difference.

Does anyone know what I am missing?

I should mention I'm using the Community version not the Enterprise version.

Thanks
Chris
Morning,

If you want to monitor this PC1, you should install the Pandora FMS agent in that machine. A broker agent does not have the utility that I think you are looking for, these are useful to organize in a different way the information received by the Pandora FMS server, but they always report information from the machine were they are installed.

Greetings
Diego
(04-13-2020, 10:42 AM)Diego.M Wrote: Morning,

If you want to monitor this PC1, you should install the Pandora FMS agent in that machine. A broker agent does not have the utility that I think you are looking for, these are useful to organize in a different way the information received by the Pandora FMS server, but they always report information from the machine were they are installed.

Greetings
Diego

Hi Diego,

Thanks for the reply.  I was slowly coming around to the same conclusion so I have been looking at the proxy settings instead along with the software agent.  Reading the documentation it looks like I turn on the proxy settings in Server01 and then point PC1 towards it.  Does that sound right to you?

Thanks
Chris
Hello Chris,

Let's see, an agent with the proxy mode activated has the capacity to receive XML files from other Pandora FMS agents, and resend them to the server, so configuring your server agent as a proxy really doesn't make sense since what it does is resend the XML files to itself. The proxy mode, for example, serves basically to be able to give coverage to networks to which the server does not have access.

I don't know which is the objective you have currently to monitor or if you are just checking the different options that allow the pandora agents, but from my point of view the easiest, simple and effective way to monitor a network is to have a server and that each device that we want to monitor has a software agent installed. This last one is not totally necessary but it will allow you to get much more information from the device.

The broker and proxy modes are certainly very useful, but for very specific cases, and I have the feeling (again I do not know, because I do not know what you want to monitor or how) that these are functions that at this time do not require

Greetings
Diego