Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pandora FMS 3.0 RC2 released !
Hi everybody !

Pandora FMS v3.0 RC2 has been released. This is a major upgrade from 2.0
version and includes a lot of new features and a surprising performance
boost. This version is a Release-Candidate, this is similar to a beta
version, but with months of testing done. Since RC1, one month ago we have fixed about 50 bugs.

This includes a new installation CD (Software appliance based on
OpenSUSE11), an vmware/VirtualBox image, RPM packages, DEB packages and of course, source tarballs. Some files has not changed since RC1, like the  Windows Installer (for our Windows agent), and the 360 page user manual in PDF.

More information about this release at our website at http://pandorafms.org

To get downloads go directly to:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/pandora...%203.0/RC2
Thanks for this fine product.

One question though. Do you plan to release any upgrade package from 3.0 RC1 to 3.0 RC2?

Right now I'm using your VMware image with 150 devices for a stress test, I'd like to move all my devices to RC2 without having to enter all the details again.
Update/migration between same major version is very easy, just replace your current setup with new release, for example from 3.0.0RC1 to 3.0.0RC2 steps to follow are:

1. Backup your database (only as precaution, should not be neccessary).
2. Backup your config files:

/etc/pandora/pandora_server.conf
pandora_console/include/config.php at your apache web root directory.
/etc/pandora/pandora_agent.conf

3. Use the method you prefer to update: RPM, DEB or tarball/sources

If you're running RPM:

rpm -i --force xxxx.rpm

This will overwrite your current setup, you only need to restore pandora_server.conf and pandora_agent.conf. Console upgrade smoothly and you only need to delete install.php.

If you're running tarballs:

For console, just copy all contents of Pandora FMS console package over your current setup, for example:

cp -R /tmp/pandora_console/* /srv/www/htdocs/pandora_console

And restore ownership of files

chmod -R www /srv/www/htdocs/pandora_console/*

(NOTE: this could change depending on SO you're using, remember that Pandora FMS console can be run over Windows,Unix,Linux, MAC, etc).

For server, just execute this command inside the directory of package after decompress it:

./pandora_server_upgrade --upgrade

For agent, just install it again, and restore your Pandora FMS Agent configuration backup

Remember that between major releases (3.0.0, 3.0.1, 3.0.0RCx) there aren't changes in database schema, so replacing files is enought. Major version releases, 3.1, 3.2, 4.0, 2.1, 2.0 has database schema changes and will require a database conversion, provided externally and supplementaty to upgrade process.

I'm going to review in our docs about this steps (upgrade from the same version) to clarify this point. Thanks for posting this help us to improve our documentation !
Muchas gracias.

I'm using your VMware image (Suse). The backup was easy, I just did a snapshot.

I copied the conf. file to a different location and did the rpm install.

It gave me some errors, but it looks like the upgrade went smooth. I never found the install.php file, but I guess it's ok.

If I find any problem you will know. Smile

Thanks for your time.
I dunno if this is the right place to post this but I am having problems installing the new pandora-agent on a debian system:

# dpkg -i pandorafms.agent_3.0.0.rc2.deb
Selecting previously deselected package pandorafms-agent.
(Reading database ... 21527 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking pandorafms-agent (from pandorafms.agent_3.0.0.rc2.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing pandorafms.agent_3.0.0.rc2.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite directory `/usr/bin' in package mysql-client-5.0 with nondirectory
Errors were encountered while processing:
pandorafms.agent_3.0.0.rc2.deb

Can this problem be fixed asap? I am currently trying to get pandora running for a major client of mine and this can be a showstopper...
Hi,

I also noticed that the pandora_server daemon is installed in /usr/local/.
Also the pandora server package has problems during the installation:

Linking startup script to /etc/rc.d/rc2.d
ln: creating symbolic link `/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S90pandora_server': No such file or directory
Installing tentacle server in /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S80tentacle_serverd
ln: creating symbolic link `/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S80tentacle_serverd': No such file or directory

Please, add a bug with this issue in:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id...tid=794852

Thank you in advance
(11-17-2009, 09:36 AM)Brenno Hiemstra link Wrote: I dunno if this is the right place to post this but I am having problems installing the new pandora-agent on a debian system:

# dpkg -i pandorafms.agent_3.0.0.rc2.deb
Selecting previously deselected package pandorafms-agent.
(Reading database ... 21527 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking pandorafms-agent (from pandorafms.agent_3.0.0.rc2.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing pandorafms.agent_3.0.0.rc2.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite directory `/usr/bin' in package mysql-client-5.0 with nondirectory
Errors were encountered while processing:
pandorafms.agent_3.0.0.rc2.deb

Can this problem be fixed asap? I am currently trying to get pandora running for a major client of mine and this can be a showstopper...

Ok. I start to study the causes of bug.
And test the package "pandorafms.console_3.0.0.rc2.deb" downloaded from Sourceforge in a clean Debian Lenny (in virtual box) that I use for this kinds of tests. And the installation run fine.

Although You can install the Pandora Console easily with the tgz package pandorafms_console-3.0.0RC2.tar.gz. More or less it's decompress the package into www directory and go to url "http://<ip_installation>/pandora_console/install.php" .
miguel,

The problem is caused by the pandorafms.agent_3.0.0.rc2.deb package, not the console...
Can you please test this package in that clean lenny installation?